Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Collapse of Doha, a Fitting Beginning

Hello blog world. I'm a PhD student of the politics and economy of the world. Accordingly, I will write on the same.

My inspiration to begin blogging was piqued today by the collapse of the Doha ministerial talks, and probably the round.

I would dare say that there is a silver lining from the collapse of Doha. Regional arrangements that are much more manageable (negotiating wise) and cover as much, if not more trade volume, than Doha, now have a chance to move forward. The uncertainty over Doha has been a great, although not the only, impediment to ambitious new regional projects - which while not as good as a multilateral regime are still a "stepping stone" in the right direction.

This in an unambitious start to my blog, but I suppose it is fitting as every end is something else's beginning.

No comments: